Thursday 5 February 2009

Kubrick's Barry Lyndon


One thing we didn't manage to catch on our visit to the capital was a screening of Barry Lyndon, currently showing at the BFI as part of a Stanley Kubrick season. His 1975 version of Thackeray's novel is considered to have been one of his finest achievements (he insisted on shooting it using authentic period lighting), and came after an abortive attempt to film a life of Napoleon. The good news is that it's available on DVD (I feel a purchase coming on...) The Guardian's review is here.

 Subscribe now!

4 comments:

Emily Kugler said...

It is such a beautiful film. It would've been wonderful to see it on a big screen. Thank you for the shopping link. I think I'm might be making a purchase soon.

Mrs Woffington said...

Thanks for your comment Merinitta, I can't wait to see this film, I hear that the cinematography is beautiful.

Jennifer J. said...

This is one of the most stunning films ever made. While never as popular as his other films, those of us who appreciate the past will savor Kubrik's attention to detail. Indeed his signature cinematography allows the viewer to drink in the visual splendor. Oh I envy your ability to see this on the big screen!

Mrs Woffington said...

Hello Jennifer P. Alas, unless I go back to London soon, I think I'll miss the chance to see it on the big screen, though in my defence, it was because I chose to visit the Benjamin Franklin Museum instead (I'm going to put up a post on that very soon!) There's always so much to see in London, so little time. But you and Merinitta have convinced me to get the film on DVD.