Wednesday 24 June 2009

In Search of a Club

For reasons too tedious to go into here, I’ve decided not to renew my membership of The Johnson Society (Lichfield) next year; this year’s attendance at Johnson’s Birthday Celebrations – a special black-tie event this September, marking the Tercentenary – will be my goodbye to Johnsonian pleasures (though not a goodbye to Johnson, of course).

But this leaves me with a modest amount of cash to spend in support of another charitable Georgian organisation; I’m looking for something based in the UK that has a busy events schedule, and despite its distance from where I live, The Georgian Group, based in London, is coming up trumps at the moment – plenty of distinguished speakers, trips out, and use of the reference library and clubroom at 6 Fitzroy Square. Unfortunately I’m too old to join The Young Georgians (only by a few years mind!) but their spirited use of Facebook to keep abreast of forthcoming activities is a joy to behold.

If anyone knows of any worthwhile clubs, I’d be interested to hear about them.

 Subscribe now!

2 comments:

Eliza Ward said...

How do you find out about those things?? I didn't even know they existed! (Well, I suppose in the UK it's understandable, whereas in Canada, which didn't really have a Georgian period, it would be weird).

Mrs Woffington said...

I think someone told me about The Georgian Society. There are many good societies in London of course, but not so many outside - I've had a recommendation for the Johnson Society of London too: http://www.johnsonsocietyoflondon.org/