Friday 26 December 2008

Christmas Turkey

Just finished watching the BBC's premiere of Casanova from 2005, with Heath Ledger in the title role. Looks like it cost a fortune - a stellar British cast phoned in their performances, including Tim McInnery as the Doge (a spectacular piece of miscasting) and Jeremy Irons as the scenery-chewing head of the Inquisition. Great music, costumes and setting, but given that the film's wittiest moment was a shot of a pig in a ruff, I think it's fair to call this a turkey.

Subscribe now!

3 comments:

Heather Carroll said...

I agree. I put it in the brainless entertainment category; fun to watch the moving picture but not enough substance. The screenwriter who did Casanova also did The Duchess...

Mrs Woffington said...

Thanks Heather - I didn't know that. The script was perhaps the worst part of it, though I'll probably still get the Duchess on DVD (when it finally comes out), just out of curiosity...

Heather Carroll said...

I know I will too even though the movie really isn't about Gerogiana Cavendish, rather some fictional stereotype of a woman from the age. I think it just feels necessary that it's in my collection!