Thursday 29 January 2009

Adieu for now


I won’t be blogging again until Monday but while I'm away you might be interested in this news item about a rare 18th-century guide to amputations and operations from 1712, recently discovered in Lichfield by Hansons Auctioneers. Hansons seems to be enjoying an extraordinary run of luck at the moment, having also turned up a guide to dentistry from 1770.

And if that's isn't enough medical reading material, The Doctor is always ready with his scalpel. Ouch!

Above: William Hogarth, The Country Inn Yard; or, The Stage Coach (June 1747).

 Subscribe now!

1 comment:

HMSAcasta.com said...

Oh these are FANTASTIC! If only I could lay hands on them to add to my collection.

I do hope that someone will make reproductions of these fine books, especially now that I have the tools to perform both the amputation AND the dentistry.

Thanks also for the mention in your post. :)