Thursday 22 January 2009

Convicts, Ahoy!

The wonderful Out of Joint has just embarked on a UK tour of its 're-imagined' version of John Gay's The Beggar’s Opera: a co-production with Sydney Theatre Company. Called The Convict’s Opera, it keeps the 18th-century underworld setting, though moves it to a convict ship where inmates are ordered to stage a show. Georgian hits such as Over the Hills and Far Away are replaced with modern classics like Sailing and You’re So Vain. I saw Out of Joint's 2002 double-bill of She Stoops to Conquer and April De Angelis's A Laughing Matter, and if it's anywhere near as good as those, it should be a riot. The tour dates are here.

 Subscribe now!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure the show will be great but why do they have to change the music? I can't seriously believe that some retro-ditty by Rod Stewart is going to be a patch on "Lumps of Pudding", "Cease Your Funning" or even "Tom Tinker's My True Love".

Mrs Woffington said...

Yes, I'm a bit of a purist myself, but I can't see them getting bums on seats with Lumps of Pudding - such is modern life. :)

Anonymous said...

(Homer Simpson voice)Mmmmm...lumps of pudding...